Making your aging loved ones cool isn’t putting them in a leather jacket and sunglasses. Here in Florida, that sunny weather can be dangerous during these summer months. Every year we see terrible news of seniors passing away due to the harsh heat. How can you protect them without keeping them inside for the next four months? Family Caregiver Alliance has some great ways.
- Wear light clothing in both fabric and color. It is important that their skin can breathe, instead of being stifled under heavy garments.
- Air conditioning, fans, and cooling fabric that stays cold when wet can be lifesavers in and out of the house.
- Keep hydrated! Perhaps one of the most important rules of all, keeping seniors considerably hydrated is vital to getting through the summer months.
- After heading outside for the day, cool showers can be a nice way to lower temperatures.
- Sunscreen is very important when venturing outside, even for just a little while.
- Speaking of “a little while”, keep time outside limited and in the morning or evening.
Even though summer is coming, we don’t have to suffer from the blistering weather. If the right precautions are taken, there can still be fun in the sun during the golden years.